Tuesday, October 1, 2013

5 Leadership and Success Predictors


Leadership. One of the most sought after skills, yet being a “leader” is one of the hardest things to achieve and/or convey. Almost EVERY company asks you about your leadership experience or lists leadership as a job qualification.

But what makes a great leader? What marks you as “successful”? More specifically, how can you start building good leadership and success habits NOW?

Well you’re in luck! Because I found this great article outlining 5 great predictors of just this! Here are THE 5 things:
  1. Getting connected to the right people.
  2. Possessing adaptability and resilience.
  3. Developing high emotional intelligence.
  4. Targeting a clear outcome.
  5. Making good decisions.

^Make sense, huh? I know in my personal experience with job-hunting that every company in some way, shape, or form asks about these 5 things. They want to know who I’m connected to (or they look on my LinkedIn...see previous post for LinkedIn tips), how I deal with adversity, my leadership style, etc.

I believe that all of these 5 “predictors of success” are great! But one that I highly stand behind is #3: developing high emotional intelligence. Although I may be young, one important lesson I have learned is that if you can develop a good sense of who you are and how to also read people, you can be successful. One of my favorite ways to gather emotional intelligence is by taking the StrengthsFinder test in conjunction with personality tests, such as the MBTI. These tests will help you learn more about yourself, as well as others.

All in all, it is important to look ahead. How will success and leadership be defined for you? Constantly evaluate this question and its impact on you.

Until next time,

Lindsay

1 comment:

  1. Lindsay, I really thought this was a great and extremely relevant blog since almost all of us are currently on the job hunt. Leadership is a characteristic that we all greatly benefit from having. A company is always looking for a future employee who can confidently lead the company to help meet its goals. I also agree with you in the importance on developing and maintaing high emotional success. We all need to have a strong sense of self and what we believe in in order to be successful in different aspects of life. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete