Tuesday, September 24, 2013

10 Tips for LinkedIn


So you’ve created a LinkedIn profile. You know it is essential when networking with people and for building “your own brand”. But now what? How does it even work?

Tracy Gold wrote a great blog about 10 tips to know about LinkedIn. I found this blog particularly helpful as I continue to learn about LinkedIn and its powerful impact. Tracy outlines some of the top 10 things she thinks you should know about LinkedIn and how to leverage it for your own good.
Some of her tips that I really enjoyed include tip #2 Post a picture. Please. Of your face, #3 Use LinkedIn to remember names, and #4 Make the most of your headline.

#2 Post a picture. Please. Of your face.
I have heard multiple times from business professionals that this is ESSENTIAL. There’s nothing that will get your profile overlooked faster than not having a picture or having one that is unprofessional. It makes a profile seem neglected, unprofessional, and unimportant. Tracy addresses in this tip that if you’re concerned about some people seeing your photo, changing your privacy settings so only connections can see your picture is 100% acceptable.

#3 Use LinkedIn to remember names.
This is a great tip! I never thought of using LinkedIn in this way, but it’s a great tool for remembering what exactly that person you met does. Utilize LinkedIn for recalling titles, experiences, etc. of people you meet or know. Doing so will make you seem well versed and polite.

#4 Make the most of your headline.
I love this tip. I always struggle with what to put as my headline. Tracy outlines that “your headline does not have to be your job title alone…Keep it concise, but make sure it communicates what you do and what your skills are.” Great advice!


All in all, LinkedIn is a powerful networking tool. If you know how to leverage this platform, it can provide great opportunities.

2 comments:

  1. This article is a great find! It took me two years before I finally figured out what all I could use LinkedIn for during my quest to find an internship and now a job. I had no idea how much it had to offer. I will admit it took me a while to post a picture and complete the about me section, but now that I have figured those areas out, I can proceed to the next step. All the tips you picked out are great and extremely helpful to someone who is new to the LinkedIn process. I will definitely take all of these tips and apply them as I continue to update my page and look for future employment opportunities.

    Thank you for finding this article and sharing it. I am really glad you pulled out points that would be helpful to other students. It is a great networking tool where anyone can easily go back and look through their connections and connect with new individuals as they go through various networking opportunities. This is a great find and a wonderful read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this was very helpful since we all know the job hunt is in full force currently. I know that LinkedIn is a great tool that is being pushed by our teachers and the employers that I have been in contact with. These are great tips how to make sure that my linked in is up to date and will help me better my networking opportunities in the next few months!

    ReplyDelete