Sunday, August 18, 2013

Facebook is Bad for You

Ever wonder about the effects of Facebook on social habits?

This article by the Economist addresses that exact question. A recent study conducted by Ethan Kross of the University of Michigan and Philippe Verduyn of Leuven University in Belgium claims that "the more someone uses Facebook, the less satisfied he is with life." This bold statement has huge impacts on current generations, as the average person spends over 15 hours on Facebook a month.

The study goes into further detail about the specific emotions the viral social media site, Facebook, has on it's users, including tension, depression, and isolation.

As a personal user of Facebook, this is worrisome. But on the other hand, Facebook has become a social norm not just for a person's social life, but the site has leaked into all facets of one's life. As a college student, it seems uncanny when someone does not have a Facebook.

So now the question becomes: what is one to do? Should we abandon the social media site that has revolutionized social media? Or should we simply embrace the side-effects?

As a lasting trend, I do not believe social media is going away. People are addicted to it, businesses need it to communicate with their consumers, and it seems as though life runs on social media. But as users, we need to be aware of social media's effects. We must be weary of the fact that social media should be used as a tool for interaction, not in place of personal, social interactions.

It is our responsibility as consumers to be aware of the effects of social media, specifically Facebook, and use such sites appropriately.

What do you think? Have you experienced the effects of social media personally or via someone else? What should we do?

2 comments:

  1. I believe this poses a very interesting point of where society is headed in regards to our use of social media. As a young, college student, I find myself using Facebook in a variety of ways. Originally, I used Facebook to keep in contact with my friends when we went away for the summer and then when we all went away for college. It helped us to stay in touch and see how everyone was doing. Now, it has escalated to a completely new medium of keeping in touch and communicating with people.

    I find myself using Facebook to communicate with friends via the messaging feature. However, I prefer to use it to set up a time to meet rather than it being the soul purpose of communication. I also use Facebook to look up businesses in the area. Local restaurants and stores use their Facebook pages as a way to advertise what they have to offer as well as promotions coming up in stores. Facebook has turned into a wonderful form of communication, but I would not say that it has completely changed the way I interact with people.

    Facebook has helped the communication that I would not have been able to continue, especially after moving away from friends and family. I know I spend a lot of time on Facebook, but I would not say that I am less satisfied with life. I actually feel more fulfilled that I am able to stay in contact with people and businesses even when I have to move away from an area. Despite what some people think, I believe we should continue to use social media, especially Facebook, and deal with the side effects that come with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very interesting and a very big claim. However, as a Facebook user, I can see how that might have some truth to it. When I don't do much all day and I spend the majority of it laying in bed Facebook stalking people I do feel bad about myself. Now this could have something to do with the fact I did nothing productive, but that is neither here nor there. I think a reason is it gives us access to so many people who we would never even know if it were not for Facebook. They all look gorgeous and skinny, and like they are having the time of their life while I am laying in bad and stuffing my face. I think there could be a huge debate about who someone really is vs. who they are on Facebook, but still I am only seeing the Facebook version, and feeling very inferior.

    I don't it is a viable option to not have Facebook though: it is a major form of communication from my sorority to close friends to class groups working on projects. I think the only way that we can combat this is by enjoying it in moderation...just like anything else addictive in life. Its ok to peruse Facebook occasionally, and it is a great way to keep up with friends who are in different locations without any real effort. But it cannot be the only form of communication we have. It is important to get out in the real world and get involved in stuff. I think I have done a good job of this, but there are definitely people who haven't and they are probably the ones this study is directed at.

    Basically, I think Facebook is a necessary evil: It is not going away any time soon, we just need to learn how to manage it in our lives.

    ReplyDelete